How to boost employee morale is a common question among business owners, and it’s a theme we’ve discussed quite a bit on this blog, including this post on team-building ideas and this post on creating community outreach programs.
Sometimes, however, you need a list of a bunch of ideas, knowing that you won’t implement all of them but also understanding that one great idea often sparks another.
Here’s a list of 19 quick-hitting ideas to boost employee morale and to inspire you further.
1. Give employees their birthdays off. An oldie, but goodie, and it can take the sting out of growing another year older.
2. Provide one “play” day a quarter. Not a sick day. Not a personal day. Not a vacation day. We’re talking a day where an employee is encouraged to take the day off to do something fun.
3. Offer matching contributions to charities. Your employee chooses the charity, and you agree to match their donation (up to a certain dollar amount).
4. Create a charitable foundation. A company that gives back is a win-win for everyone, and it can foster a feeling of goodwill among employees because who doesn’t want to work for a company that isn’t a slave to the almighty dollar and bottom line? Your company’s charitable foundation could manage the idea we had in #3 and support a different “cause” each year (employees could vote/weigh in on this decision from year to year). Of course, there are tax benefits to doing this as well.
5. Give turkeys at Thanksgiving. OK, maybe not actual turkeys, but providing employees with gift cards to their local supermarket is always a welcome present.
6. Cater lunch once a quarter or even once a month. Free food is always a great incentive and it encourages socialization.