Oh, if you could only get all the awesome ideas you have floating around in your head on paper and make a book out of it. Wait a minute! With digital publishing, you can.
Here are six reasons why you should seriously put together a book this summer and launch it in the fall.
1. You’ll create a passive income stream. Wouldn’t it be great if you could make money while you slept? Digital publishing makes this a reality. Your digital storefronts, like the Kindle store on Amazon, operate 24/7, which means you could make money while you’re sleeping or when you’re on vacation or during your slow season. Yes, you have to market your books. And no, we can’t guarantee you’ll be raking in thousands of dollars. But as one successful independent author enjoys pointing out, “Ebooks are forever. Forever is a long time to get noticed.”
Even if you’re only bringing in a few hundred dollars every year, that adds up over time. And once you post the books to the online stores, you don’t need to do anything else (yes, you should market your books, but you don’t have to). And if you put out multiple titles and each title is bringing in a few hundred dollars every year, well…you can do the math.
2. You’ll be able to demonstrate that you’re a thought leader in your industry. And the best part? You don’t need to spend time going out on the speaking circuit or doing endless networking events to prove this point. Your books—your words—will reflect what you know and who you are.
3. You’ll be able to boost up your resume and online profiles. Having a few published books under your bet is a great credential to have on your resume and online profiles. Think about your Twitter bio, for example. Adding “published author” or “author of Awesome Book Title” is something that will likely catch people’s eyes (impressing them and possibly garnering you some extra sales).
4. You’ll have even more valuable offers for your customers and prospects. Many of your best customers and hottest prospects want more content from you. Publishing a book is a great way to provide them with something of value.
5. You’ll have more stuff to talk about on your website and in social media. Publishing a book is a big deal. You can talk it up in social media and add a page to your website about your book(s).
6. You’ll create a “big brand” image for your small business. Nothing legitimizes a business more than seeing the owner’s book on Amazon and his or her own author page. In the “old” days (10 years ago), it was hard for small businesses to compete with the “big boys” and press departments that could help land articles and book deals for the company’s CEO. No more. Now you can create a “big brand” image when you publish your own book.
Interested in taking the next step? Be sure to read our overview of digital publishing, which includes tips on developing content, the steps you need to take to actually create an ebook, and the different publishing platforms available.
How about you? Have you thought about publishing? Or maybe you already have? We’d love to hear about it! Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments.